Bullivant Houser Bailey PC has a long history of assisting non-profit organizations, including public charities, supporting organizations, trade and business associations, private schools and universities and religious organizations. In addition to providing a full range of legal services to these organizations, many of the firm lawyers participate on non-profit boards and committees on a non-legal/volunteer basis.
Our legal services to non-profit organizations include:
- Formation of non-profit organizations under state non-profit corporation law, including preparation of governance documents and registration with the state Attorney General's office.
- Assisting non-profit organizations in obtaining tax-exempt status under state and federal tax law and exemption from state property tax laws.
- Counseling and advising non-profits on ongoing organization operations, including fundraising activities, sponsorship arrangements, event management, permissible political and lobbying activities, and general contract matters.
- Advising non-profit board members of their duties and responsibilities under state and federal law, including preventive advice to avoid liability, structuring conflict of interest transactions, and analysis of director and officer insurance.
- Assisting with real estate transactions, environmental and land use issues, trademark licensing and infringement issues and commercial law issues.
- Providing employment advice and counseling in the hiring and firing of employees and volunteers, assisting with employment policy manuals, and assisting with employee benefit plans (ERISA).
- Representing and defending all types of non-profit organizations in mediation, arbitration and litigation, including representation of non-profit organizations in such matters as wrongful discharge and sexual harassment suits, fiduciary liability, and negligence claims.
- Assisting donors and other major contributors to charitable organizations with their tax and estate planning needs, including charitable remainder trusts, private foundations and related estate planning vehicles.
- Assisting with major corporate changes, including mergers and acquisitions and, where appropriate, liquidation and dissolution.