Representing Businesses in Litigation: Navigating Conflicts While Preserving Privileges
Oregon Association of Defense Counsel Commercial Practice Seminar
by Laura Taylor
Speech Category Commercial Litigation
Tonkon Torp, 888 SW Fifth Ave Ste 1600
8:30AM - 12:00PM
Defense lawyers must constantly assess client relationships and conflict and privilege issues when representing businesses, whether retained directly or by an insurer of the entity. The OADC's commercial practice seminar, "Representing Businesses in Litigation: Navigating Conflicts While Preserving Privileges," will feature a panel of seasoned experts in select practice areas who will discuss the following key issues:
- Who is your client?
- What is the form of the entity and why should I care?
- How should I communicate with my client without creating conflicts or creating privilege issues?
- How should I structure the engagement to minimize risk of conflicts or waiver of privilege?
- What should I do if a conflict develops mid-stream?
- How can I protect communications to the greatest extent possible?
- How can I create bullet-proof Joint Defense Agreements for related entities and individuals?
- Limited purpose representation (defending a deposition)
- How to protect the entity's intellectual property (what should you worry about and how can it be protected?)
- When and how to withdraw?
Bullivant shareholder Laura Caldera Taylor will be speaking on the panel. Application has been made to the Oregon State Bar for 3 CLE hours. Registration information is in this link.