Bullivant Houser Bailey's professional liability attorneys have extensive experience in a wide range of professional disciplines. Our firm has represented architects, engineers, insurance agents and brokers, attorneys, directors and officers, real estate agents and brokers, health care providers, accountants, and other professionals.
- Architects and engineers: We represent design professionals in claims brought by owners, contractors, occupants, and third parties.
- Directors and officers, D&O: Our group is experienced in securities litigation, the principal area from which claims against directors and officers most frequently arise. We defend insureds under executive protection lines of coverage, in both general corporate and financial institution areas. We also defend securities claims and alleged regulatory violations as well as mismanagement and breach of fiduciary duty claims.
- Insurance agents and brokers: A major asset in resolving claims against retail and wholesale insurance agents and brokers is our broad understanding of the industry within which they operate. Our group maintains very high visibility in the insurance marketplace and is heavily involved in regulatory issues. We understand the insurance business, as well as principal/agency law.
- Legal malpractice: Our group defends legal malpractice claims and represents malpractice insurance carriers in coverage disputes. We do not represent insureds in coverage issues and, in Oregon, where primary coverage is provided through the Professional Liability Fund of the Oregon State Bar, we exclusively represent excess carriers and the defense of out-of-state attorneys who are sued in Oregon. This limitation of our practice helps us avoid all political and actual conflicts with the Professional Liability Fund regarding coverage and defense issues.
- Medical/psychological and other health care providers: We represent physicians, psychiatrists, psychologists, therapists, and other health care providers in civil malpractice actions and in disciplinary proceedings with state licensing boards.
- Real estate professionals: Bullivant defends real estate agents, brokers, appraisers and property managers.
- Financial services professionals: We defend registered representatives, investment advisors, investment companies, third party administrators, and broker-dealers (including FINRA arbitrations).
- Accountants: Bullivant defends accountants in connection with malpractice claims, violations of securities law, investigations by the U.S. Securities and Exchange Commission (SEC), U.S. Commodity Futures Trading Commission (CFTC) and U.S. Attorney, and represents accountants regularly before state regulatory and licensing agencies.