David Ryan is a litigator who brings First Chair trial and arbitration experience having handled a variety of civil matters in Oregon and Washington state and federal courts. His work is primarily focused on resolving disputes involving insurance coverage, professional liability, and general liability claims, including claims associated with environmental remediation and property damage.
Dave has a long history of defending insurers facing insurance coverage and bad faith claims as well as first-party and third-party claims. Clients appreciate his no-nonsense approach. He cuts to the chase on a claim to serve as a good steward of his client’s budget and eliminate unnecessary costs. Dave makes recommendations on resolving cases quickly and works with clients as a team to facilitate the decision-making process.
- Oregon, 1995
- Washington, 1996
- U.S. District Court, District of Oregon, 1996
- U.S. District Court, Western District of Washington, 1997
- Lewis & Clark Law School – J.D., cum laude, 1995
- Certificate in Environmental Law, 1995
- College of William and Mary – B.A., Public Policy, 1991
- Obtained summary judgment and declaratory relief in dispute between two insurers as to other insurer’s duty to defend and indemnify common insured and participate proportionally based on policy limits.
- Obtained summary judgment dismissing personal injury claims against public transit agency for plaintiff’s failure to comply with tort claim notice requirements.
- Obtained summary judgment dismissing claims against insurance broker for alleged failure to procure appropriate coverage to protect policyholder against underlying skiing injury claim, by establishing availability of coverage.
- Defense verdict following jury trial of wrongful death claim against hospital arising from alleged wrongful discharge of patient from ER.
- Defense verdict following jury trial on behalf of HOA alleged of improper enforcement of CC&Rs.
- Obtained dismissal of claims against hospital alleging negligent post-operative care, which permitted patient to fall out of bed.
- Obtained voluntary dismissal of claims against insurance broker for alleged failure to procure appropriate auto coverage for ride-share driver, by establishing to availability of coverage under personal and commercial policies.
- Obtained summary judgment for insurer against insurer’s general agent whose error bound insurer to provide coverage for policyholder whose policy otherwise would have been voided by misrepresentations on application.
- Obtained summary judgment dismissing claims against oncologist for alleged failure to disclose side effects of chemo/radiation therapy.
- Obtained summary judgment dismissing claims against occupational medicine clinic/physician for alleged missed diagnosis, when the doctor timely referred plaintiff to an appropriate specialist.
TEAM PLAYER AND DEVOTED ATHLETE
Growing up in New Jersey, Dave was a three-sport athlete, which became a fundamental part of his life. He grew into an avid recreational athlete, coaching and actively participating on multiple soccer, baseball, and softball teams. After serial ACL reconstruction surgeries, he was resigned to playing slow-pitch softball and volunteering as an over-involved team parent and club director. But the teamwork attitude was ingrained in him since he was a kid and he carries the “No I in team” philosophy to this day.