Karleen Scharer is a skilled civil litigator who defends clients in casualty-related claims involving products liability, toxic torts, catastrophic injury, and property damage. She advises national and international clients, handling the full range of litigation processes, from pre-suit settlement negotiations, mediation, discovery, pre-trial motions, and trial.
Prior to joining Bullivant, Karleen gained valuable insider and civil litigation experience as staff counsel for a major insurance company. Since successfully litigating cases there, she has continued to advocate for her clients and gain experience defending national insurers in UM/UIM litigation and individual insured as well as commercial carriers in personal injury and general liability insurance defense cases.
- Washington, 2014
- Oregon, 2020
- U.S. District Court, Eastern District of Washington
- U.S. District Court, Western District of Washington
- Seattle University, School of Law – J.D., 2014
- University of Witwatersrand, Johannesburg, School of Law – Mandela Institute Human Rights Program
- University of Washington – B.A., 2009
- First-chaired trial in King County Superior Court, involving shoulder injuries requiring a total shoulder replacement and rotator cuff repair, in which verdict totaled less than the Plaintiff’s medical specials;
- Obtained defense verdict as first chair in a stipulated liability trial involving a motor vehicle accident; and
- Obtained summary judgment dismissal in King County Superior Court on the basis of res judicata, after securing a defense award at arbitration in the previously filed case.
OUTSIDE THE FIRM
Karleen’s interests outside of work include travel, expanding her culinary repertoire, and participating in a variety of athletic pursuits. Karleen lives in Ballard with her wife and their newborn son.