Lloyd Bernstein has been protecting the interests of insurers and businesses in the Pacific Northwest for more than 25 years. They rely on him to navigate them through thorny legal issues, resolve insurance coverage and commercial disputes and defend extra-contractual and bad faith claims. Because he has been handling these types of cases for a long time, he has a thorough understanding of the insurance and legal issues involved. He’s also keenly aware of the nuances relative to the local venues and knows the landscape, judges and insurance laws unique to these jurisdictions.
Lloyd’s work often involves extensive motion practice or trial in state and federal court. But he also recognizes that effective representation does not always mean going to trial, and that an arbitrated, mediated or negotiated resolution can oftentimes be more successful. Clients appreciate that he’s a straight shooter and that they can count on his real-life approach and practical advice. Given his significant experience, he’s better prepared to lay out the risks and counsel clients on the best path for resolution.
- California, inactive
- U.S. District Court, District of Oregon
- U.S. District Court, Western District of Washington
- U.S. District Court, Eastern District of Washington
- U.S. District Court, Central District of California
- U.S. District Court, Southern District of California
- U.S. Court of Appeals, Ninth Circuit
- California Western School of Law – J.D.
- State University of New York, Plattsburg – B.S.
- University of Central Lancashire-England – Study Abroad
- Successfully obtained a directed verdict at jury trial in favor of CGL insurer against insured’s failure to defend and indemnify claims in excess of $500,000 relative to a construction dispute.
- Successfully prevailed on a first-party commercial property and business interruption weather loss declaratory judgment bench trial in favor of insurer with claims in excess of $750,000.
- Successfully prosecuted contentious family real estate partnership dissolution and liquidation bench trial obtaining in excess of $5 million.
- Successfully obtained summary judgment for commercial property insurer on a fraudulently presented business theft and business interruption claim.
- Successfully prevailed on trial motions dismissing multi-million dollar breach of contract and bad claims against a malpractice insurer for settling excess exposure claims against the insured.
- Successfully obtained summary judgment in favor of property insurer on multi-million dollar progressive water and earth movement condominium loss.
- Successfully prevailed at jury trial on behalf of auto insurer against multi-million-dollar PIP/UIM failure to investigate and settle bad faith claims.
- Successfully obtained court order finding stipulated settlement agreement between underlying plaintiff and insured to be unreasonable and prevailed against attempted certification of multi-million-dollar class action against specialty commercial property insurer relative to warehouse fire.
- Successfully defended commercial property insurer at jury trial obtaining dismissal of bad faith claims and a favorable coverage award relative to business equipment loss.
BRINGING A KNACK FOR COACHING TO YOUTH SPORTS
Lloyd refereed pee wee football during law school, combining his love for the sport and mentoring youth. Since then, he has coached his kids’ basketball, soccer and flag football teams. He also enjoys time spent trying to “coach” his dogs. Lloyd thinks about returning to refereeing when the time comes to slow down his legal practice.