Matt Casey is a trial lawyer with more than 20 years of experience defending businesses and individuals involved in high-value products liability, personal injury, and catastrophic injury disputes in Oregon. Matt is knowledgeable about the landscape in Oregon’s various counties, and how injuries and claims are valued, having tried and arbitrated cases to conclusion throughout the state.
With a keen interest in how the human mind and body work, Matt enjoys resolving cases where it’s important to understand the medical issues and the science behind what is required for recovery. Clients appreciate that Matt is a straight shooter who is skilled at identifying and explaining complex medical issues and legal concerns from the outset of the case and explaining them in ways that make sense. Since he started his legal career evaluating claims and medical issues on the plaintiff side, he brings a well-rounded perspective that helps him break down issues and arrive at common-sense solutions.
- U.S. District Court, District of Oregon
- Willamette University, College of Law – J.D., 1998
- Santa Clara University – B.S., 1995
- Defended product manufacturers through trial, including home appliance manufacturers and plumbing component parts manufacturers.
- Obtained summary judgment dismissal of subcontractors from construction defect contribution claims on basis that subcontractors did not have a special relationship with owners, and thus, could not have joint tort liability.
- Defended toy distributor against claim that its product contained toxic amounts of lead.
- Defended an apartment complex and property manager against claims that an apartment unit exposed tenants to toxic mold.
- Obtained summary judgment of dismissal of local non-profit corporation from a premises liability lawsuit on the basis that the lawsuit was barred by Oregon’s recreational use statutes.
- Defended large movie theater chain through trial against premises liability lawsuit.
- Defended trucking, delivery, and taxi cab companies through trial.
A LONG-TIME MUSICIAN PLAYING SOLO AND IN A BAND
Matt has played guitar for 35 years in his spare time and was in a band in college. He has always enjoyed all types of music and plays as a way to unwind and relax. Matt played, impromptu, at a DRI legal conference event in New Orleans a few years ago.