Matt Sekits is the Shareholder-in-Charge of Bullivant’s Seattle office and a member of the firm’s Board of Directors. As an accomplished trial lawyer who has successfully tried numerous cases to verdict, Matt defends corporate clients in complex commercial litigation, including class action lawsuits. He brings more than 20 years of experience as lead counsel in multi-million-dollar cases involving liability and property insurance, business torts, shareholder disputes, and catastrophic personal injury or wrongful death. Matt is a go-to lawyer for insurance carriers, handling some of the largest insurance coverage cases in the Pacific Northwest. He’s often called upon when a challenging case has gone awry, offering a fresh perspective and another path forward.
- Washington, 1996
- U.S. Court of Appeals, Ninth Circuit
- U.S. District Court, Eastern District of Washington
- U.S. District Court, Western District of Washington
- University of Washington, School of Law – J.D.
- University of California, Berkeley – B.A., with honors
- Defended national property insurer in insurance coverage case arising out of hurricane damage to a food manufacturing facility.
- Defended national liability insurer in jury trial of insurance coverage and bad faith case arising out of patent infringement claims brought against an insured shoemaking company.
- Defended national property insurer in jury trial of insurance coverage and fraud case arising out of the alleged vandalism to an insured’s home.
- Defended national auto parts maker in breach of contract and business tort case brought by a competitor.
Prevailed in the trial and appellate courts pursuing a case that involved claims against the manufacturer of a clothes dryer after the dryer caught fire. Clients were awarded nearly $1.4 million. The unanimous jury verdict followed a two-week trial and the decision was affirmed on appeal by three judges.
- Represented international bank in breach of contract case arising out of the purchase of equipment lease payment streams.
- Defended national vacation ownership developer in jury trial of copyright infringement case after $100 million lost profit claim was dismissed on summary judgment.
Catastrophic Personal Injury
- Defended regional pipeline company in multiple personal injury cases arising out of a pipe bomb explosion.
- Defended stepfather in wrongful death case arising out of a gasoline can explosion that killed his stepson.
- Defended cabulance company in wrongful death case arising out of the death of one of its passengers.
CHAMPION OF COMMUNITY AND ACTIVE ATHLETE
Matt has also remained active in the community on diversity initiatives and children’s issues. He supports local diversity organizations and works on inclusive hiring practices for the firm. Matt is frequently asked by the U.S. Department of State’s Office of Children’s Issues to act as pro bono counsel to secure the return of children abducted from their home countries under the Hague Convention on the Civil Aspects of International Child Abduction. He also serves as a guest faculty member for the National Institute for Trial Advocacy (NITA) Building Trial Skills program.
Growing up in Seattle, Matt has always enjoyed the outdoors. He is an active runner and cyclist and raced for the Cal Cycling team while attending UC Berkeley.