Ron Richman partners with clients to resolve their most complex civil, commercial and contract disputes that affect their business. Skilled in multiple approaches to resolution, he litigates, arbitrates and mediates in state and federal courts throughout California. Ron has served in several leadership positions at Bullivant Houser, including member of the Board of Directors, Practice Group Leader, Shareholder in Charge of the San Francisco office and member of the Governance Committee. Ron currently serves as the General Counsel for Bullivant.
He has extensive experience defending cases in the real estate and construction industries, especially those involving breach of contract and lease disputes, property and boundary disputes, construction litigation and mechanic liens, and surety bond litigation. He’s also skilled at analyzing and advising on a wide variety of commercial contracts to help clients avoid conflicts in the future. Ron also represents multi-employer union Trust Funds in ERISA compliance and litigation.
- Ohio, 1984
- California, 1989
- U.S. Court of Appeals, Ninth Circuit
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Armed Forces
- U.S. District Court, Northern District of Ohio
- U.S. District Court, Southern District of Ohio
- U.S. District Court, Central District of California
- U.S. District Court, Eastern District of California
- U.S. District Court, Northern District of California
- U.S. District Court, Southern District of California
- University of Dayton, School of Law – J.D., 1984
- Bowling Green State University – B.S., 1981
- Successfully prosecuted a property/boundary/easement and commerical contract dispute involving a mulit-million dollar highrise in San Francisco
- Successfully defended a national surety in a multi-million dollar claim under a performance bond issued for a new residential high rise project in San Francisco
- Successfully defended a national insurer by seeking and obtaining terminating sanctions against the plaintiff for a series of discovery abuses
APPROACH TO SERVING CLIENTS SHAPED BY MILITARY SERVICE
Serving in the military is a proud tradition in Ron’s family. He comes from a long line of family members who served in WWI, WWII, and Vietnam. His father served in WWII as a pilot and finished his career as a legal officer in the U.S. Air Force JAG Corps.
Ron feels that his own positive military experience in the U.S. Navy JAG Corps was instrumental in setting the foundation for how he approaches his work and his philosophy on serving clients. It taught him how to be a leader and part of a team, understanding people’s roles, earning respect and establishing rapport. He learned to take on tremendous responsibility for his team members in the military and has that same sense of responsibility when working with clients. Ron sees representing someone as an honor and brings a broader perspective having worked in this capacity.
Over the past few years, Ron has taken an interest in photographing the sky, as opposed to landscapes, what he calls “sky-scapes”. He looks for interesting patterns in the clouds or colors in the sky and tries to capture those sky-scapes. His hope is to one day put together a book of sky-scapes, just for fun and to share with family and friends.