Andy Downs has been defending clients in complex insurance coverage litigation and commercial disputes for more than 35 years. He is a go-to advocate for national and international insurance companies, representing them in connection with coverage and bad faith claims under first-party property and fidelity policies and under specialized third-party Directors & Officers and Errors & Omissions policies. He offers a vast understanding of state and federal procedures and the mechanics of the insurance industry when advising clients on their rights and responsibilities.
In each case, Andy takes a big-picture approach with the client’s overall business needs at the forefront. Clients count on his timely, accurate, and practical advice and guidance. As a skilled negotiator, he brings a well-honed perspective and economical mindset to each matter. His strong intuition and ability to see the human dynamics of an issue help him prepare clients for what may happen next and lay out likely scenarios to avoid surprises down the road.
- California, 1983
- Nevada, 2002
- U.S. Supreme Court
- U.S. Court of Appeals, Ninth Circuit
- U.S. District Court, Central District of California
- U.S. District Court, Eastern District of California
- U.S. District Court, Northern District of California
- U.S. District Court, Southern District of California
- U.S. District Court, District of Nevada
- University of California, Los Angeles, School of Law – J.D., 1983
- The Johns Hopkins University – B.A., 1980
- Successful representation of fidelity insurer in class action litigation arising out of the $97,000,000 Ponzi scheme collapse of one of the largest Internal Revenue Code Section 1031 Qualified Intermediaries.
- Represented commercial property insurer in obtaining favorable verdict in bad faith jury trial in connection with alleged business income losses. Judgment affirmed on appeal.
- Representation of Directors & Officers insurer in successful defense of claims by the FDIC following a bank failure.
- Represented insurer in obtaining forum non conveniens dismissal of a $22 million coverage and extra-contractual suit in Clark County, Nevada in favor of a New York forum, where the insurer later defeated the suit.
- Represented market hull & machinery insurers and individual insurer issuing liability policy in connection with sinking in Guam of 800′ floating dry dock containing petroleum substances. Won summary judgment on behalf of our clients, which was affirmed on appeal.
- Successful representation of holding company against alter ego claims regarding a former subsidiary.
- Successful representation of insurer in administrative proceeding before California Department of Insurance.
REFEREE, STARTER, AND JUDGE FOR NATIONAL GOVERNING BODY FOR SWIMMING
Andy volunteers for USA Swimming as a Nationally Certified Referee, Starter, Stroke & Turn Judge, and Chief Judge, working local, regional, high school, and national level swim meets. Currently, he is the Sanction Chair for Zone 3 of Pacific Swimming.