Protecting a professional practice and reputation
Bullivant Houser’s professional liability attorneys have extensive experience defending professionals in a wide range of disciplines against claims of negligence, misconduct, and other ethical violations. Insurers and professionals turn to us directly when they have an acute problem and are facing complex, high-stakes legal challenges that put their license and livelihood at risk. Whether a complaint has been filed or there are accusations of wrongdoing in a lawsuit, we bring decades of experience and know-how to provide recommendations on ways to resolve it quickly. We understand the needs of professionals and their insurance carriers and strive for early and reasonable resolution of claims whenever possible.
Bullivant Houser has a long history of handling cases that involve complicated errors and omissions (E&O) coverage issues and that require a special skill set in financial and accounting or other technical fields. Our goal is to become the experts in the problem our client is facing and take it off their shoulders to navigate the complex issues that arise. We evaluate the issues, advise on the best options forward and work on negotiation strategy. Our team prepares responses to subpoenas and represents clients at deposition. We often handle ethics issues, accounting board responses to complaints, and bar complaints about lawyers or law firms. As nationally-recognized trial lawyers with technical backgrounds, we know how to get winning results for our clients short of going to trial and are prepared to take a case to trial if necessary.
Professionals we represent
- Accountants: Malpractice claims, violations of securities law, investigations by the U.S. Securities and Exchange Commission (SEC), U.S. Commodity Futures Trading Commission (CFTC) and U.S. Attorney, and represent accountants regularly before state regulatory and licensing agencies. Provide risk management services and advice to CPAs across the country on “hotlines” under contract with three national insurance carriers.
- Financial services professionals: Registered representatives, investment advisors, investment companies, third-party administrators, and broker-dealers (including FINRA arbitrations).
- Legal malpractice: Defend legal malpractice claims and represent malpractice insurance carriers in coverage disputes. We do not usually represent insureds in coverage issues and, in Oregon, where primary coverage is provided through the Professional Liability Fund of the Oregon State Bar, we represent excess carriers and the defense of out-of-state attorneys who are sued in Oregon.
- Architects and engineers: Design professionals in claims brought by owners, contractors, occupants, and third parties.
- Insurance agents and brokers: A major strength in resolving claims against retail and wholesale insurance agents and brokers is our broad understanding of the industry within which they operate. Our group maintains very high visibility in the insurance marketplace and is heavily involved in regulatory issues. We understand the insurance business, as well as principal/agency law.
- Medical/psychological and other health care providers: Physicians, psychiatrists, psychologists, therapists, and other health care providers in civil malpractice actions and in disciplinary proceedings with state licensing boards.
- Real estate professionals: Real estate agents, brokers, appraisers, and property managers.
Toggle content goes here,
click edit button to change this text.