Guiding clients through every phase of development and construction
Bullivant Houser’s construction attorneys represent clients in every step of the construction process, from land acquisition through the completion of construction and beyond. We work with both public and private owners, developers, contractors, sureties, subcontractors, vendors, and suppliers, and share our clients’ goals in helping to deliver an on-time and successful development project.
When claims or issues give rise to litigation, we offer decades of experience and industry knowledge both from the developer and contractor perspectives to defend claims for our clients. Our team recognizes that the construction field is a specialty area where claims are more complex and do not involve a simple breach of contract. We have a solid understanding of the special rules and regulations, and law of remedies, mechanic’s liens, stop notices, and bonds.
West Coast team with construction industry experience
Bullivant’s construction team brings more than legal expertise. Several of our attorneys have had some form of direct industry experience or were construction professionals prior to pursuing a legal career. We’ve been in our clients’ shoes and have faced similar challenges, having spent time in job trailers and partnering as facilitators on projects. This client perspective makes us uniquely equipped to offer practical solutions on construction-related issues, whether common or complex. We bring knowledge in emerging trends in the construction industry, including sustainable construction and integrated project delivery.
Types of construction matters we handle
- Assisting owners and developers with land use & real property acquisitions, approvals, and entitlement processes
- Counseling owners, contractors, and design professionals on all business matters related to the development of real property and construction
- Representing colleges in contracting for and delivery of their projects and capital programs
- Representing public owners with contracting, bidding, and construction disputes
- Representing sureties under performance and payment bonds, for single and multiple projects
- Assisting contractors with the structuring of business entities and with corporate and tax issues
- Providing risk assessment services and risk avoidance advice relating to insurance, employment, and contracting needs
- Representing owners, contractors, subcontractors, and design professionals in all phases of litigation and arbitration and construction claims and disputes, including resolution of on-site issues
- Breach of contract, defective performance, delay claims, and failure to pay