Mary Butler is a civil litigator who defends clients in complex litigation matters involving claims of negligence, professional liability, breach of contract, product liability, wrongful death, and catastrophic injury, as well as in employment-based harassment and discrimination disputes. Mary also has extensive experience in maritime litigation, including the defense of seaman’s personal injury and wrongful death claims, wreck removals, cargo loss, and breach of contract claims. She has trial experience in both state and federal courts in Washington.
Mary graduated with a B.S. in Psychology and a minor in theater from Loyola University Chicago. She spent the next five years as a paralegal in two Chicago law firms, assisting in defending a wide variety of cases, including insurance coverage, complex insurance-related defense litigation, reinsurance, and Chapter 11 bankruptcies. She returned to the Pacific Northwest to attend law school where she obtained her J.D., cum laude, from Seattle University School of Law. While in law school, she was published in and served as Editor-in-Chief of the Seattle Journal for Social Justice, worked as a research assistant to Professor Mary Bowman, and traveled to South Africa to study at the Mandela Institute of the University of Witwatersrand Law School.
- Oregon, 2021
- Washington, 2012
- U.S. Court of Appeals, Ninth Circuit
- U.S. District Court, Eastern District of Washington
- U.S. District Court, Western District of Washington
- Seattle University, School of Law – J.D., cum laude, 2011
- Loyola University of Chicago – B.S. in Psychology, 2003
- Puget Sound Marine Claims Association (President, Present)
- Marine Insurance Association of Seattle (Committee Member, 2015-2021, Member 2015-Present)
- Legal Voice (Violence Against Women Policy Workgroup, 2011-2016)
- Operation Nightwatch (Seattle Homeless Services Organization) (2012-2014)
PUBLICATIONS & PRESENTATIONS
- Co-Author, “Abusive Litigation and Domestic Violence Survivors Chapter in the Domestic Violence Manual for Judges in Washington,” Washington State Gender and Justice Commission (2016)
- Speaker, “Ethics of Legal Marketing in Social Media” (July 2013)
- Author, “One More Battleground: Domestic Violence, Child Custody, and the Batterers’ Relentless Pursuit of their Victims Through the Courts,” 9 Seattle J. for Soc. Just. 1053 (2011)
- Secured summary judgment dismissal of product liability, CPA, negligence, breach of warranty, and fraud claims against an engineering company in a suit alleging $37 million in damages related to an allegedly faulty device used as part of a gas system in pulp and paper mills. Also obtained full award of attorneys’ fees and costs for client pursuant to Washington’s frivolous claims statute, RCW 4.84.185.
- Secured summary judgment dismissal of breach of contract and negligence claims on behalf of yacht dealership in a case involving total loss of boat after delivery.
- Secured voluntary dismissal of claims against excavation subcontractor in construction defect case involving damage to newly constructed residence.
- Secured voluntary dismissal of claims against delivery and installation company in case involving damage following a water leak at customer’s residence.
- Secured voluntary dismissal of claims against property management company in a premises liability case involving claims of improper snow and ice remediation allegedly causing slip and fall accident.
OUTSIDE THE FIRM
Outside of the office, Mary and her husband can be found chasing after their two young boys, hiking, gardening, cooking, and most anything that gets them outdoors.