FOUR DECADES AS A TRIAL LAWYER IN INSURANCE AND CASUALTY-RELATED LITIGATION
Jeff Hill has dedicated his practice to resolving complex insurance coverage issues, casualty litigation and professional liability matters. His work primarily involves handling large loss first party and third party property damage claims related to D&O liability, fire cause and origin, environmental liability, water intrusion, and extra-contractual liability. He advises insurers in all areas of insurer liability. Jeff also represents lawyers in disciplinary proceedings.
With decades of experience representing national and international insurance carriers, Jeff has a great deal of insight into their world. He understands the business and insurance policy-based pressures his clients face and is able to anticipate their needs. His clients count on him because of his solid understanding of facts, the law, and the practical realities of whatever the matter brings to arrive at the best solution. Jeff has tried many cases over the years, knows most cases settle, but is always prepared for whatever a case develops. Jeff has tried cases lasting from days to many months.
- U.S. District Court, District of Oregon
- U.S. District Court, Western and Eastern Districts of Washington
- Seattle University – J.D., 1981
- Washington State University – B.A., Economics, 1978
- Trial counsel for insurer clients who have prevailed in collapse litigation in Oregon state and Federal Courts.
- Trial and coordinating counsel for insurers in Washington presented with multi-million dollar water intrusion and extra-contractual damage claims.
- Trial counsel for insurers involved in historical pollution and personal injury claims.
- Trial and appellate counsel for a principal defendant in Cascade Corporation v. American Home Insurance Company, et. al., 206 Or App 1, 135 P3d 450 (2006). Represented insurer in a three-month trial of major environmental insurance coverage claim. The case involved decisions on complex exhaustion and allocation issues, the impact of policyholder settlements on the policyholder’s share in the allocation, as well as other defense and indemnity issues.
- Trial counsel for plaintiff to a favorable conclusion in St. Paul Fire and Marine Insurance Company v. McCormick & Baxter Creosoting Company, et. al. Multnomah County Case No. A88711-07096. Declaratory judgment action to determine insurance coverage for pollution at the policyholder’s wood treatment plants in Stockton, California and Portland, Oregon. The case, reviewed by the Oregon Supreme Court before trial, is the Oregon authority for many insurance coverage issues, including trigger, allocation and the pollution exclusion. 324 Or 184, 923 P2d 1200 (1996).
- Trial and appellate counsel for primary defendant in City of Tacoma, WA v. Harbor Insurance Company, USDC Oregon Case No. CU 90-306 DA. Represented Directors and Officers liability insurer for a northwest power generator sued in the Washington Public Power Supply System (“WPPSS”) bond default.
- Trial counsel for a primary defendant in Union Pacific Railroad Corporation v. American Home Insurance Company, USDC Oregon Case No. 87-484-DA and USDC Wyoming Case No. C89- 0069J. Represented a primary insurer for a railroad in insurance coverage litigation in Oregon (employee hearing loss claims system-wide) and Wyoming (pollution claims system-wide).
- International Association of Defense Counsel
- Defense Research Institute
- Multnomah Bar Association
- Oregon Association of Defense Counsel
- Paris, October 2017. Quelques Remarques d’Ordre Pratique sur Les Procédures d’Actions de Groupe aux États-Unis ; Some Practical Notes on Class Action Litigation in the United States.
- Paris, October 2013. L’Assurance Administrateurs et Dirigeants : Évolution Récente aux États-Unis ; Directors and Officers Insurance Coverage : Recent Developments in the United States.
- Paris, October 2010. Les Juridictions de Première Instance et les Procès aux États-Unis ; Trial Courts and Lawsuits in the Unites States : A General Overview.
- Paris, October 2008. La Responsabilité du Fait des Produits aux États-Unis et dans L’Union Européenne ; Products Liability Claims in the United States And The European Union.
- Brussels, October 2005. La Responsabilité Environnementale et La Nouvelle Directive de l’Union Européenne ; Environmental Liability and the New European Directive.
- AV® Preeminent™, Peer Review Rated by Martindale-Hubbell
- Selected for inclusion in Oregon Super Lawyers (2018-2022 — Insurance Coverage)
- Selected for inclusion in The Best Lawyers in America© (2018-2023 — Insurance Law)
INTERNATIONAL TIES AND TRAVELS
Jeff grew up abroad in India, Iran, and England and has a fascination with French history. He is a non-native French speaker and hopes to one day finish writing his book on the lives of two of his heroes: La Fayette and his equally extraordinary but less well-known spouse, Adrienne de Noailles. He is a frequent traveler with family and dear personal and professional friends in the English- and French-speaking worlds. In addition to his hobby as an amateur historian, Jeff is a lifelong runner and cyclist. With family always at the forefront, he and his wife are most proud of their two adult sons — one is a lawyer and the other is a Ph.D. scientist.