PURPOSEFUL IN RESOLVING CHALLENGING DISPUTES
Owen Mooney has been a part of Bullivant Houser since 2014. As part of its insurance law group, Owen defends insurers in lawsuits involving contractual and extra-contractual liability. In addition, his work has extended beyond insurance-coverage matters, including personal injury cases and commercial disputes. Strong in writing and research, he is often the go-to attorney for analyzing, briefing and arguing obscure and challenging issues, including for matters on appeal. Methodical and measured in his decision-making, Owen is valued for his ability to spot issues, generate creative solutions, and get results in litigation that can be difficult to achieve.
Before joining Bullivant Houser, Owen clerked for The Honorable Nancy Saitta of the Nevada Supreme Court. There, his analysis of complex legal issues included civil and criminal procedure, constitutional rights, parentage, premises liability, and class action litigation.
As a former public high school teacher in Brooklyn, NY involved in Teach for America, Owen gained skills that he applies today. Through honed presentation and pedagogical skills, he can distill and impart complicated subject matter to help others understand and feel empowered. His career in teaching instilled an ability to see the big picture and design a plan that aligns with the end goal.
As a former public high school teacher in Brooklyn, NY involved in Teach for America, Owen gained skills that he applies today. Through honed presentation and pedagogical skills, he is able to distill and impart complicated subject matter to help others understand and feel empowered. His career in teaching instilled an ability to see the big picture, design a plan that aligns with the end goal, and adapt to unexpected events.
- Texas, 2019
- Washington, 2013
- U.S. District Court, Eastern District of Washington
- U.S. District Court, Western District of Washington
- U.S. Court of Appeals, Ninth Circuit
- Gonzaga University, School of Law – J.D., magna cum laude, 2012
- Gonzaga University – B.A., Political Science, cum laude, 2007
- In his most recent trial, Owen served as second chair, defending a commercial property insurer against claims for damage caused by long-term water intrusion at a condominium complex. After a three-week trial in federal court, the jury returned a verdict in favor of the insurer.
- Speaker & Co-Author, “Marijuana Loss: The Insurance Policy May Cover It, but Will ‘Public Policy’ Ruin the High?” Washington Defense Trial Lawyers (WDTL) Insurance Law Update (2016)
Owen volunteers for Moms Demand Action and Students Demand Action, organizations that advocate for gun reform and reducing gun violence.